barbecue

Don’t burger up your bank holiday

Authored by Mary

Over 900,000 people in the South West of England are at risk of food poisoning from pink burgers at Bank Holiday barbecues, according to research released today by the Food Standards Agency (FSA).

The research reveals that despite 69% stating they are concerned about food poisoning, almost a third (29%) of people in the South West would eat a burger that isn’t fully cooked through. One...

Beware of lurking barbecue bugs

Authored by Mary

As the school summer holidays get into full swing, a survey has found that the humble chicken is likely to be in high demand on barbecues in the South West. Bangers and burgers have lost out as 29% of people in the South West named chicken as their top pick .

Encouragingly, 29% of people in the South West said they take extra care when cooking chicken on the barbecue. However 22% said...

Never use a BBQ to heat your tent

Authored by Mary

Do you know that BBQs give off poisonous carbon monoxide hours after use?

Bringing them into a tent or awning to keep warm is a recipe for disaster.

You cannot smell, taste or see Carbon Monoxide. So, if you suddenly get flu symptoms, or have headaches, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness or weakness you may have Carbon Monoxide poisoning. People often don’t realise that...

Be BBQ safe this summer!

Authored by George Dawson

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service wants your BBQ and cricket celebrations to be a safe and enjoyable experience, but cooking over hot coals can be hazardous. Marc House, Community Safety Prevention Manager said: “It’s natural to want to go outdoors and enjoy the warmer weather with family and friends, especially with the Cricket on - many of us can’t wait to get the BBQ lit. We...

Boy airlifted to hospital with severe burns after barbecue blast

Authored by JamesM

A 15-year-old boy has suffered severe burns after a barbecue explosion at a house near Clayhidon, Cullompton yesterday evening (Wednesday 21 August).

Ambulance control contacted the local fire service requesting assistance at the incident and appliances from Wellington and Taunton were mobilised to investigate. After further information, the Wellington appliance continued to the...

Cooking on the barbecue this bank holiday? Advice from Fire and Rescue Service

Authored by JamesM

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service want your barbecue to be a safe and enjoyable experience, but cooking over hot coals can be hazardous and it's easy to become distracted when you have family and friends around you whilst cooking.

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service would like to offer some safety tips to make sure that you have a safe and enjoyable time....