On Saturday 5 September, the National Trust in the South West will see Greenway House open its doors daily, for the first time in more than four months - with several new safety measures in place.
Last month two South West properties; Barrington Court and Kingston Lacy, reopened as part of a phased reopening of 200 houses which were closed as part of the national lockdown in March. Since then several properties in the South West, have once again opened their doors including, Killerton, Knightshayes, Arlington and Dunster Castle.
2020 marks 100 years since the publication of Agatha Christie’s first novel, ‘The Mysterious Affair at Styles’.
The Trust are marking this milestone by exploring her life and work – you can find out more on at www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/100-years-on-exploring-agatha-christies-life-and-work.
You can also listen to a specially created podcast and learn more about the woman behind the books and hear from her grandson as he shares memories of their holidays together at Greenway
Belinda Smith, Visitor Experience Manager, said: ‘We are thrilled to be able to welcome visitors back to Greenway and once again inside the house, just in time for Agatha Christie’s birthday on 15 September! Although the visit will be different than normal with a one way visitor route and only the ground floor open, we hope it’s still as relaxed as usual with lots to see and a real feeling that Agatha Christie has just popped out for a minute into the garden.’
The House will be open daily from 1.30pm to 4.30pm with last admission at 4.15pm (the garden is open 10.30-5pm daily). Visitors will need to book their visit in advance through the online booking system
Visits are limited to ensure social distancing and entry to the house is not guaranteed on the day you visit. In line with government guidance, you're required to wear a face covering in the house. Please bring one with you.
The latest round of properties to reopen have been specifically selected to operate within current government guidelines following the pilot scheme launched on July 13.
Since then hundreds of people have visited National Trust houses nationwide with more than 4 million visiting its parks and gardens, which were reopened from June 3 in England and Northern Ireland and from July 6 in Wales.
The National Trust will continue to operate an advanced booking system and tickets will grant joint access to the house and gardens. Due to limits on capacity as a result of social distancing, it may not be possible for everyone to access the house during their visit.
John Orna-Ornstein, the National Trust’s Director of Culture and Engagement says: “We have received some fantastic feedback since we started to reopen our places in July and are incredibly grateful for the patience and understanding that visitors and members have demonstrated as we start to welcome people back to our houses.
“This latest reopening is part of a process to open all of our properties safely and we will announce more in the coming weeks and months.
“Being able to share these beautiful places and their histories is what the National Trust is here for and we are truly excited to be able to open these houses and welcome people back.”