Baby treated for smoke inhalation after fire on Union Street

A fire appliance from Greenbank was mobilised to Union Street, Plymouth, to investigate a fire alarm sounding. On arrival fire crews requested an additional appliance to a confirmed fire. This was also mobilised from Greenbank.

The incident involved a fire in a 3-storey terraced building, approximately 25m x 25m, used as shops and residential accommodation. The fire had spread from the outside cladding causing smoke to fill three properties.  The external façade was slightly damaged by fire and three flats slightly damaged by smoke. One three-month old baby was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene by ambulance personnel. One hosereel jet, one positive pressure ventilation fan and small tools were used to extinguish the fire.  The cause of the fire was believed to be suspicious.  Police log 87.